I recently sat down with one of our Cooee participants to discuss how she was finding the group, and I couldn’t help but feel a sense of joy and fulfillment as she opened up about her experience.
Are you eligible for the NDIS in Queensland?
To become a participant in Queensland, Queenslanders must:
- Have a permanent disability that significantly affects their ability to take part in everyday activities;
- Be aged less than 65 when they first enter the National Disability Insurance Scheme;
- Be an Australian citizen or hold a permanent visa or a Protected Special Category visa; and
- Live in Australia where the National Disability Insurance Scheme is available.
How do IMPACT and the NDIS work together?
IMPACT provides NDIS services in Queensland. The National Disability Insurance Scheme operates state-wide across Queensland. We’re a registered National Disability Insurance Agency provider that helps people with a disability achieve their goals. Services include day programs, life and living skills, social and community engagement, supported employment, support in training and education. Through the NDIS and the help of IMPACT, people with a disability will be able to work towards their life goals.
What kind of support will someone with mental health receive from the NDIS?
The National Disability Insurance Scheme will not support psychiatry services or medication, however, they will assist in finding housing, developing your skills in financial independence and building social relationships as well as supporting you in training and employment.
Who is eligible for mental health services under the National Disability Insurance Scheme?
According to the NDIA, people dealing with “a psychiatric condition who have significant and permanent functional impairment” qualify for the NDIS mental health services.
What does your NDIS process look like?
- Step 1: Think about the disability support you need to live a better life.
- Step 2: Contact us and we’ll discuss what you need to get ready.
- Step 3: We’ll work with you to create your NDIS plan and help you put it in action
- Step 4: Live your life the way you want to!
NDIS and Mental Health Services
The National Disability Insurance Scheme isn’t just limited to individuals that have physical disabilities. A person who is living with mental health (psychosocial disability) that significantly impacts their life may also be eligible. In fact, more than 1800 Australians with a psychosocial disability are receiving support under the NDIS in trial sites around Australia.
Need a hand getting started?
Whether you’re a carer, a family member of someone with a disability, or just want to learn more about how IMPACT and the National Disability Insurance Scheme can help you, please contact our NDIS team.